Being a project manager is demanding; not only do you have to stay on top of your team, but no amount of planning or organization can keep your project mishap-free. Project management apps allow you to organize your work, your team tasks and keep an eye on overall productivity and scheduling.
These tools are crucial for efficient management of entire projects remotely – especially in 2022. Automation, improved productivity, and enhanced communication are only a few taps away.
Read on to learn about the top apps to make your project easier to manage.
Best Project Management Apps in 2022
Indy is designed to help freelancers manage their businesses.
With Indy you can:
- send invoices
- create contracts
- track your time spent
- design proposals
- create forms to embed anywhere, and
- other features for the independent worker
With Indy, you can join for free. The Pro Bundle is just $5.99 per month.
Chasing after your team and dealing with deadlines is part of the struggle of being a project manager. When you’re working with a remote team, Microsoft Teams apps allow you to communicate with remote teams from anywhere using your computer, tablet, or smartphone – no office required.
The apps can be free, and the paid options start from $5 user/mo for Microsoft 365 that includes Teams. Microsoft Teams apps aren’t just for communication and staff – it can be scaled for large operations.
Asana is another effective tool for tracking and managing team projects. Unlike many project management tools, Asana comes with an intuitive and simple UI. Task prioritization helps teams to be more productive and efficient, and all the changes are updated in real-time.
- Document management
- Project management
- Time & expense tracking
- Collaboration tools
- Portfolio management
- Resource management
Asana is a great tool to help you keep up with everyone, their progress, and simplifies access to historical data and notes. The downside is that it does not work well as a communication tool. They have the free version, as well as plans starting from $10.99 a month.
Trello is an easy-to-use but flexible Kanban-style management tool. Trello’s design and generous free tier make it the ideal place for managers and their teams to get started.
You start with a board, lists or categories, and cards that can be specific tasks and dates attached. Each card can be detailed to help team members know exactly what needs to be done and when. Then, the cards can be dragged and dropped according to the stage of the project.
Tags can be added to each card, such as priorities, due dates, and more. While it may be straightforward, it’s viable for teams of all sizes and industries.
Trello is very popular among developers and project managers related to infrastructure design. Its capabilities help different teams communicate and perform tasks remotely without any loss of efficiency. The Alpacked team members created and presented their best microservice use cases with the help of Trello.
This app is named after the least favorite day of the week, but do not be fooled. Monday makes starting the week easier, and can quickly become the best day in a workweek.
Monday.com is a project management tool for tasks, projects, and teamwork management. As of this year, the company serves 100,000 organizations and businesses worldwide. Here are some features that can benefit you and connect your remote team with confidence.
- Facilitates collaboration through tags, email updates, and visual display of progress
- Detailed knowledge base through auto-generated, completely searchable, full documentation
- Integration with Dropbox, Google Drive, and Pipedrive
- Simplify workflow through relevance and customizable code-free automation
You can also get more detailed reports and add anyone, including third-party agents or freelancers. After you use their 14-day free trial, you can choose between different pricing structures depending on the size of your team.
Monday is used by over 100,000 teams across more than 200 industries.
Basecamp is a web-based product but can be used on any device to help you organize your project and team of any size in one place. With over a decade in the industry, its uncluttered interface and powerful search tools make it straightforward to find the task, image, or message you’re after.
This tool is a one-stop-shop for all your project management needs. It allows you to create a to-do list, track time, and share files, as well as communicate with the team about what’s going on.
There’s no free plan, but the length of their 30-day trial is more generous than most. As for its pricing, its fee of $99 per month makes it more appealing for large projects and businesses to tackle.
ProofHub project management software
ProofHub project management software is a cloud-based project management tool that helps you to manage your projects, team, and clients in one place.
ProofHub enables you to easily collaborate with your team, share files and ideas, and get work done faster. ProofHub’s intuitive design makes it simple and easy to use for everyone on your team. You can also customize ProofHub to fit the way you work.
ProofHub project management software has a wide range of features that can help you to manage your projects more effectively. These features include:
– Project Management: ProofHub allows you to easily create and manage your projects. You can add tasks, assign them to team members, set deadlines, and track progress. ProofHub also includes powerful project management features such as Gantt charts, milestones, and Kanban boards.
– Team Collaboration: ProofHub makes it easy for you to collaborate with your team. You can add comments to tasks, share files, and chat with team members in real-time. ProofHub also includes features such as groups and user roles that make it easy to manage your team.
– Client Management: ProofHub enables you to easily manage your clients. You can add clients, create projects, and send invoices. ProofHub also includes a client portal that allows your clients to view project progress and communicate with you.
– Reporting: ProofHub provides you with powerful reporting features that allow you to track project progress and performance. You can generate reports on project activity, team performance, and financial data. ProofHub also includes a built-in report builder that makes it easy to create custom reports.
ProofHub project management software is the perfect tool for small businesses, teams, and freelancers who need a simple yet effective way to manage their projects.
LiquidPlanner is a smart online tool for managing projects, tasks, workers, and time. While LiquidPlanner is classified as a project management software, the app can do just as much as the traditional version.
What makes this app unique is that it’s an automated scheduling and forecasting solution. This means that not only does it help teams track and manage work, but it also keeps up with resources, staff availability, and much more. Some of its many features include Smart Schedule and Resource Management.
LiquidPlanner does not have a free plan, but you can trial various plans for two weeks. Plans are pricier compared to some apps, starting at $45/month per user.
Wrike is another project management software that enables its users to manage and track projects, deadlines, schedules, and other workflow processes. This app consists of Gantt charts, useful dashboards, and comprehensive reports to help you to create the timelines you’re looking for.
Wrike’s interface and customizable workspace start you off on the right track each day, with any important information only a click away. Share calendars, folders, and get together to chat and brainstorm together on their 360° platform. The free plan is generous, but it has a limit on users and certain features. For the paid version, rates start for as little as $9.80/month per user.
Bridge24 is a reporting and exporting app that connects to Asana, Trello, Basecamp, and AceProject. With a one-click dynamic connection, users can extract greater value out of their project data. It gives you an overview across all of your operations, a new perspective on your tasks, you can switch between templates, and export any information you need.
What features you can use it will depend on what provider you’re integrating to Bridge24. The main features of this app are:
- Export and report engine
- Interactive charts
- Power grid, board, and calendar view
- Project/task history
With detailed reports, interactive charts, and exporting tools, you can access, organize, and categorize valuable information. These insights allow managers to make timely and informed decisions on how to manage their teams best.
The 7-day free trial includes everything except the Export to Excel/CSV functionality feature. Then, you have the option of a monthly or annual premium, starting with one organization owner license and four additional licenses to assign to other users.
Zoho Projects is a cloud-based management tool that helps you plan activities, track progress, and collaborate with your team. It uses Gantt charts to build your onto schedules and check for any possible discrepancies in your plan. Zoho integrates effortlessly with other apps such as Dropbox, Invoice, and Google. Features include:
- Task automation
- Task management
- Time tracking
- Social project management
- Charts and reports
- Project administration
- Issue tracking & SLA
- Gantt charts
- Project timesheets
- Mobile project management app
Zoho Projects has a free plan that includes two active projects and 10 MB of storage for up to three users. There are also four paid plans you can try hassle-free for ten days, with their base rate being $3 per month per user.
Podio is a communication-first designed for professionals who work on multiple projects and generate new ideas. More than 400 thousand businesses use it, including big-name companies such as Sony and NFL – and now, you can too. Enjoy special features such as built-in instant messaging, schedule a meeting, personalize your dashboard, and share read-only files.
If there are file-sharing services, customer support products, and marketing tools that you use for your job, Podio is most likely integrated with it. Bring your team’s work together through Google productivity apps, Dropbox, Evernote, and more. Take a look at some of the features Podio has to offer:
- Open, private, and employee workspaces
- Activity streams, statuses, likes, and comments
- Video and audio communication
- GoToMeeting integration
- API and SDKs
Customizing your own templates and collaborating with your team has never been easier. Podio offers a free tier that lets you use task management and workspace features. However, if you have a large company or would like more control, you can upgrade to premium plans to fit your needs.
Project Management Software Statistics
- 90% of projects require team participation as opposed to individual responsibility
- 56% of companies use only one project management software
- 44% of project managers are not currently using project management software
- 76% of executives say agile project management tools will be the new normal
- 31% of companies say that miscommunications about project objectives is the number one reason why projects fail
- 59% of workers in the United States say communication is their biggest obstacle
- 29% of American workers say a lack of accountability interferes with project success
- 45% of team members say Gantt charts are their most used project management feature
- 55% of team members say project objectives are unclear
- Only 9% of company executives are satisfied with their workplace time allocation
- File sharing is the most requested project management software feature
- Over 62% of high-performing companies use real-time document editing and file version control features
- Unmet or unclear task dependencies account for 12% of project failures
- 40% of project managers spend most of their time micromanaging employee responsibility and answering questions over email
- ⅓ of the American workforce believes managers don’t listen to their ideas
- 71% of business executives say employee engagement is one of the top factors in project success
- Only 52% of executives say their employees’ time allocation matches company priorities
The Bottom Line
It does not matter how much (or how little) you spend on work tools. What truly matters is knowing what features are the most valuable for your team and how to use this to your advantage.
Your skills, education, and experience can be enhanced when you have the right tools in your arsenal. Not only will it make your life a little easier, but it will also keep your team updated and focused, no matter where you are. Once you find the apps with the features that best fit your needs, you and your team will be ready to take on projects like never before.