As a cloud backup provider, it’s paramount that you’re familiar with Veeam, but also as a client. It’s important to understand what apps and services your provider is using to keep your data safe. So in this article, we’ll talk a bit about what Veeam means, how it works, and what you should know next time you come across it.
We’ll take you through this using easy terms that even non-professionals can easily comprehend. So don’t worry – we won’t get overly technical on you!
What is Veeam?
Veeam is a technology company originating in Baar, Switzerland, and Columbus, Ohio in the US. They specialize in creating cloud backup services, disaster recovery systems, and various intelligent data management services.
What is a disaster recovery system?
We find it natural to back-up our physical things, and create some sort of recovery plan in case of natural disaster. We know that our possessions are easily lost in a fire or an earthquake, so we endeavor to safeguard them by making copies or storing them in safe spaces.
A disaster recovery system is basically that but on a digital scale. A digital malfunction or security breach can easily cause important information to be lost. But not forever, because that’s what companies like Veeam are for. They specialize in creating recovery and storage systems that will keep our data safe, even in the case of a digital earthquake.
What is Veeam Backup and Replication?
As the name suggests, Veeam Backup and Replication is one of those disaster recovery systems we were just talking about. It is a complex data protection system designed to secure:
- Virtual machines (such as the Microsoft Hyper-V VMs);
- Physical machines (running various OSs, like Linux, Windows, etc.);
- NAS share files;
- Cloud VMs.
Veeam Backup and Replication creates a centralized option for administering and running automated backup on all your data. It’s particularly useful for companies and large enterprises dealing with a hefty amount of data.
What can Veeam Backup and Replication do?
Okay, so we’ve established that it backs up your data and can be a useful option for keeping your information safe. But what features can you expect from Veeam Backup and Replication?
- Backup – its chief benefit is that it creates image-level backup files for any one of the above types of data, making Veeam Backup and Replication more diverse and secure than many other similar options;
- Restoration – another important benefit of the service is that in case of a disaster, it can restore all your data from a backup location unto a new device;
- Support through Tape Devices – Veeam Backup and Replication also ensures backup copies in tape devices, for added security.
- Replication – interestingly enough, Veeam also designs a perfect replica of a VM, and keeps it permanently in sync with the original.
Aside from these, Veeam Backup and Replication also offers continuous protection for your data through its replication technology, and many other features. But those are best discussed with your cloud service provider!